Monday, October 11, 2010

Fall's New Black...Purple!

As we begin to hit midway of Fall 2010's season, you’d think you’d start seeing shades of green, red, and gold everywhere. BUT! Ish and I were proven wrong while strolling along the malls of Greenbelt.

Colors of Fall, such as purple is surprisingly going strong for the month of October. Check out the fabulous people we bumped into wearing this Fall’s color trend…

(Picture on the left) Mark Go, 25 yrs old, Marketing Manager
Outfit: lavender Topman sweater or Camisa de Chino, light blue Arrow short-sleeved button down, Zara jeans, leather shoes from Bangkok

Mark’s Lavender Camisa de Chino has definitely been a basic item in everyone’s closet lately. It’s an item anyone can wear in so many different ways and can come in other colors too! It’s also perfect for the upcoming winter season in order to warm up on those chilly nights out.

I’m sure a lot of us didn’t notice, but did you know that farmers wear camisa de chinos too? I didn’t notice this too at first, until I went to a local palengke in Mindoro and saw that they were selling this classic item (in different colors) for only 30 pesos! Apparently, camisa de chinos were actually worn by the “peasants” back when we were still colonized by Spain. They were also used as undershirts for barongs. Today, we actually don’t call them camisa de chino anymore. I’ve been hearing more people labeling it as sweaters. It’s probably because a lot of these high-end stores label it that now, and because of the type of fabric they use to make it more like a sweater, OR make it look and sound more classy/trendy to the consumers.

As for Ish and I, we’d rather stick our cheap thrills, which are found at our nearby palengke. There are so many things you can do with an inexpensive camisa de chino aside from layering it and using it as an undershirt. You can cut it, paint on it, and reconstruct it in order to have a garment that is uniquely yours.

Here’s another purple-fab chick we bumped into, who wore a cute accessory on her…

(Picture on left) Alexandra Lisbona, 18 yrs old, Student

Outfit: Forever 21 dark purple romper, stockings and shoes from Landmark, checkered puppy sling bag – gift from a friend.

If there’s one garment I wish I could wear and carry well, it would be the romper. For some strange reason, I’ve always loved wearing shorts but can never seem to get myself to wear a romper. I’m sure rompers are the most comfortable garments, but my head always talks me out of buying one. Luckily for Alexandra, she carries this dark purple romper very well with some spunk and a cute accessory hanging around her.

Rompers actually originated back in the 19th Century Victorian era, and became more popular in the 1950’s. Rompers were actually worn by mostly children. This was because of the loose fit that the romper provided which was very fitting for “playwear”.

In 2006, rompers made a comeback because of the kind of lifestyle we now present in this generation. I think one of the main reasons why it is still at its peak is because it is convenient. We live in a world were we like to multi-task and would rather have things “all-in-one”. This is probably one of the reasons why it is becoming a staple in most people's closet.

If I were to finally get myself to buy a romper…I would probably do what my partner Ish would do. I would pair the piece with a pair of studded black ankle-high boots. I would also accessorize my arms with my usual black O.D.M watch and a statement belt around the waist to match.

So here’s to the power of purple for Fall 2010! Remember, don’t just stick to the plain ol’ purple, change it up a bit and try other shades too!

By: Samantha L. Mendiola & Ish Villaseca


References: Camisa de Chino, <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chino_cloth>
                    Romper, <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romper_suit>

No comments:

Post a Comment